Our Programs & Classes
Students and enthusiasts of martial arts have many reasons for their interest in the martial arts. Some are drawn to the physical fitness and weight-loss aspects of training. Others seek to add discipline and self control to their lives. While still others are concerned about safety and self-defense.
Whether you are interested in our programs for mental or physical well being, Independence Martial Arts America offers a number of programs that will fit your developmental needs and your busy schedule as well.
KARATE FOR KIDS
(Ages 5 - 12) Program
- This is the place for your kid(s) if you are looking for a top rated martial art program that emphasizes CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
- Classes are SAFE, fun and educational.
- We have a dynamic curriculum that keeps kids engaged and constantly seeing improvement! Incentive programs such as ACADEMIC ACHIEVER, BLACK BELT CLUB and Dragon Patch reward effort.
- Pizza & movie nights, and other events keep things exciting and fun as well as allow the children to socialize and make new friends.
- Doing well in school is encouraged and rewarded.
- Cooperating at home is expected and taught as part of becoming a Black Belt.
- Children are taught that Parents and Teachers are in charge.
- A "Student Creed" which emphasizes correct behavior, a positive attitude and never misusing Karate is recited at the beginning and end of each class.
- The kids are taught the "four secrets of Karate":
STREET SMART MARTIAL ARTS
(Ages 13 and up) Program
- Maududo is a safe, fast paced, easy to learn system of self defense that will help you overcome the fear of failure, the fear of others, and not feeling confident enough to protect yourself or your loved ones.
- We give you proven physical and mental training and proven street-tested advanced fighting skills to overcome any obstacles.
- You will never be afraid of any human being or fear any situation again.
- This is an optional class for Red Belts and higher. It provides extra instruction and practice in board breaking techniques. It is open to kids and teens/adults. Boards are usually available for purchase at the school but you should bring your own just in case they run out.
- This is a SAFE, and FUN way to engage in developing skills in sparring. ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE APPROPRIATE GEAR, BE A CURRENT ENROLLED STUDENT,AND LIME BELT OR ABOVE TO PARTICIPATE.
- Designed to engage students in a SAFE AND FUN way to learn skills in sparring. ALL STUDENTS MUST WEAR APPROPRIATE GEAR, BE A CURRENT ENROLLED STUDENT, AND YELLOW BELT OR ABOVE TO PARTICIPATE.
- These classes are designed to introduce students in the use of a variety of weapons, and weapons use. Students will use these weapons in a safe manner and their application use. Weapons include bo staff, escrima sticks, bokken or iaito. (weapons not included) proper weapons and some attire required.
- Lower belts ranked kids may use SAFE swords at tournaments only all other weapons for kids require 1st Degree Decided Black Belt or higher.
- Adult begin at white through RECOMMENDED BLACK BELT (1R) all other weapons will require 1st Degree Decided Black Belt or higher.
- The Demo Team has created a great opportunity for Black Belt Club (lime belt and above) students to demonstrate their skills.
- This team helps students overcome their fear of being in front in people and builds team work skills.
- The Kids Demo Team and the Adult Demo Team will practice simultaneously, sharpening their skills as individual martial artists and coordinating as a team.
- Demo consist of traditional forms, self defense, acrobatic kicks, many forms of weapons.
- The Demo Team goes to event like parades, county fairs, schools and tournaments to showcase their martial arts.
- The Demo Team Members display the true meaning of Martial Arts Spirit as they demonstrate passion, courage, dedication in every move. They embody the spirit of our school.
- The Junior Instructor Program is also referred to as Green Stripe. Kids Decided Black Belts Students who would like to be considered for the Junior Instructor program must meet certain requirements in order to test for Green Stripe. When they pass testing, they will take on new responsibilities within the karate school. The following are the requirements and responsibilities for Green Stripe candidates.
- Requirements to Test for Green Stripe
- You must be a 1st Degree Decided Black Belt or higher.
- You must exhibit self discipline, respect,and maturity at all times in the karate school as well as at school and at home.
- You must be enthusiastic and have a passion for helping others.
- You must be proficient in your current and previous material and attend classes consistently.
- You must attend the Junior Instructor Trainee classes.
- You must have full knowledge of the Kids White, Yellow, and Orange belt material and be proficient with previous Maududo combinations and applications.
- You must be able to recite the Student Creed.
- Responsibilities of Junior Instructors
- Setting an awesome example at all times for other students...neat uniform, follow all school rules, answer loudly and respectfully in class, be a leader.
- Greet all new students.
- Encourage all students.
- Assist in a class each week (please let us know when you can't be at your assigned class).
- Politely help students line up for class.
- Take attendance cards to the front counter.
- Place initialed attendance cards in the proper boxes when they are ready.
- Attend and assist at Kids Rank Advancements/Graduations.
- Green Stripes are Permitted To:
- Bow in and bow out a class with permission from the Lead Instructor.
- Lead warm ups with permission from the Lead Instructor.
- Assist Lead Instructor in children's White - 1R classes.
- Teach weapons to 1D Kids with permission from Lead Instructor.
- Give tips with permission from Lead Instructor. (only after passing Green Stripe testing)
- Be a "Good Finder" to let the students know what they are doing correctly.
- Green Stripes are NOT Permitted To:
- Teach Kids, Teens or Adults without permission from the Owners.
- Lead an entire class.
- Teach alone (except warm ups).
- Critique a student's technique without the student first asking.
- Correct another students behavior.
- This is an optional class for Adults Yellow Belt and higher.
- Instructors/Future Instructors is one of many programs offered at Independence Martial Arts America.
Please Contact Us
if you have any questions about our programs or would like to know about other programs that may not be listed here.